College life is fun, but when you’re staying at a hostel, it is also about making the best of what you have. We’ve compiled a list of pocket-friendly ‘hacks’ or ‘jugaads’ to make things a little easier for you!
1. Make a speaker with a glass/coffee cup: Have a small party at hostel room, but the sound of your smartphone speakers is too low? Keep the speaker value to maximum and place them in the a glass or a coffee mug. The glass or cup will act as an amplifier.
2. Stinky jeans? Put your jeans in a plastic bag and place them in the freezer. Your jeans will get deodorised. And finally, don’t make this a habit and wash your jeans at the end of the day.
3. Invest in a kettle: A kettle is affordable but can be used to make a variety of meals. Boil egg or make oatmeal for breakfast, make some flavoured rice for lunch and end the day with maggi. Make sure you clean the kettle thoroughly after every meal. And obviously, you can make chai too!
4. Record lectures: Can’t follow the lecturer as he/she is too fast. Record the lectures using your smartphone and listen them on VLC. You could change to recording speed to follow the lectures. And this helps while prepping for exams too.
5. Use toothbrush and toothpaste to clean your sneakers.
6.Use Egg tray as a laptop cooler.
7. Use clear nail paint to prevent buttons from falling off.
8. Make a sandwich with iron: Craving for a cheese sandwich or some toasted veggies? Place an aluminium foil on the iron and make your meals. To make sandwich iron it just like clothes. For cooked veggies or omelette, place the iron upside down, place the foil and do the cooking.
9. DIY projector: Planning a movie night? Make a DIY projector with a shoe box and a magnifying glass. Techbuilder shows you how to do it.
10. Don’t have an iron? Use a hot pot of water or hair dryer to iron your clothes.