Becoming a new parent can be both exciting yet scary. Parenting is all about constant learning and there’s no such thing as “perfect parent” as babies don’t come with an instruction manual.
So here are five things every parent must remember
- It’ll take time for you to fall in love with your baby and that’s okay – You’ll hear a lot of people say that they fell in love with their baby as soon as they laid eyes on him/her. That may not be true for everyone. It will take time for the feeling of parenthood to sink in and there’s nothing wrong with that. So just keep caring for the baby, be kind, patient and don’t judge yourself, eventually you’ll realise how much you love the baby.
- Trust yourself and you’ll figure it out – Sometimes you’ll feel like you’re the best parent and other times you feel like the decision to have a baby was wrong. And that’s completely normal and happens to more parents than you think. Just keep doing your best and figure it out. Parenting books and websites can give you pointers on how to do things, but ultimately you must do what feels right to you. Your child needs you and nothing more, so hang and there and things will get better.
- Take all the help you can – Taking care of a newborn is a never ending job. So don’t hesitate to ask for help as you already have a lot on your plate. So do what you can to get some extra sleep, because you need it and you deserve it.
- Be flexible – Before getting into parenthood, you may have thought about the ideal way of raising your child. But reality is totally different. You may want to breastfeed your baby, but somehow that may not work out for you and it’s okay. And it’s okay to give your baby some screen time to take a break. So be practical and accept the change in philosophies.
- Don’t forget each other – Spending time with each other is as important as spending time with the baby. Give each other at least 15 to 20 minutes everyday. And sometimes take a break and go out for a date night.